Saturday, July 17, 2010

A Weekend with Glenn

Our fourth of July weekend was spent with family, friends, and Glenn Beck. My awesome mom-in-law is a big Glenn Beck fan and heard about his plan to speak in Driggs, Idaho on the third of July. At first I was hesitant to give up the classic Idaho Falls fireworks, but we decided we would try something new. Then my parents decided to come. Then our good friends Mike and Lara decided to come. We had quite the party. We arrived in Driggs several hours before the events were scheduled to start so we talked and ate our picnic dinner, and played games. It was excellent fun. Not fifteen minutes after we got ourselves situated in our "spot", Mr. Beck did a sound check and then came down the fence surrounding the stage. We all made our way up there, said hello, and shook hands. (That brings my celebrity total up to two- got to meet David Archuleta last month, and I think Glenn Beck is a little cooler than that.) He was taller and thinner than I thought he would be. Apparently the TV makes you look short and fat. And he was super sunburned from his fishing adventures the day before. One of the most genuinely nice people I've ever seen. He was so sweet to everyone he spoke to and you could tell he really meant it and was happy to be there.
By the way, all of this was set up on this huge golf course with the giant stage on the green and thousands of people flooding the fairway. So for the first hour of the show we listened and sang along with the BYUI Orchestra. It was insanely fun. We laughed and sang at the top of our lungs, feeling extremely patriotic. One of the coolest moments was when the orchestra played a medley of songs, included each of the marches( or theme songs??) to each branch of the military and as they did members from each of those branches stood and I was so surprised at how many they were. This cute little old man in front of us just stood for the whole time and I wanted to run up and give him a hug.

I can't remember a fourth of July where I felt more patriotic and so happy to be surrounded by friends and family. We had so much fun.




Unfortunately it got quite chilly as the sun went down. ( Glenn Beck made some comment about how this was the only fourth of July he had ever wanted a space heater)

Mike and Lara



The Tetons- the view all around us was absolutely amazing. So gorgeous.


Mr. Beck speaking to us. He spoke on the history of America and how it was founded on principles of hardwork. Who our founding fathers were and what made them such excellent men. And how we can raise up our country today by being active and good Americans. He is such a powerful speaker-I cried like three times and jumped up and down inside for being a history major. Nerdy, I know.



Beautiful sunset. Pretty sure we had the "best-looking" fourth anyone could have.


The fireworks: HOLY COW. The best fireworks I have ever been to. I don't know if it was being so close, or being out in the middle of no where. But it was the coolest thing I had ever seen. Again-I cried. Never felt so patriotic. Fantastic.

Thanks everyone for the best fourth ever. Loved it. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Glenn Beck just picked up a new fan.


And side note- This weekend we went to the Melaleuca picnic. It was fun. We didn't win anything, which was probably our main motive for going. Oh well. It was still fun. They put on quite party. Daniel did win an iPad last month. It has turned out to be a rather sweet toy. And we both have a free iPod touch on the way--very excited. (Especially after I kinda sorta left Daniel's iPod in my jeans on laundry day)
Daniel has three more days of school and then seven blessed weeks of just work--no school. Then we are both back to the books. I'm taking nothing but history classes for the next three semesters and then I am done! This time next year I will be graduating. Crazy. That's all for now! Stay tuned for more fascinating stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment