Saturday, February 9, 2013

One Month and How Not to Breastfeed

 It's been an exciting month. As all parents say, "I can't believe it's been a month already!" We have had our ups and downs, but I think Sophie has doubled in size. At her two week appointment she made it back to her birth weight of 7 lbs. and 8.5 oz. She grew one inch to 21.5 inches. She measures in the 95th percentile for length {which we fully expect her to continue to do} and she was in much smaller percentiles for head and weight--tiny head and skinny girl.


 We took these polka dotted pictures at two weeks and six days old. It's fun to get her all dressed up even if she doesn't go anywhere. We are still trying to figure out how to get her to sleep for long periods of time by herself--she much prefers to sleep on someone's chest, which means I get little sleep. Being a mom is tough business.




 Daniel's brother-in-law Jason was in town, so he had the privilege to see Sophie.
 My sweet little brother had to come home from his mission to have some work done on his hip joint, but the bright side is he gets to see baby girl.
 Sophie loves bathtime! We just run the sink water over her and she calms right down. Also when she goes totally nuclear we will often go in the bathroom and run the shower which she seems to love  too.

 She has rather long feet and toes so she can fit into all her darling shoes.

 I've learned you really have to smile even when they don't.

 Here she is at one month old!! So big!
 So...how not to breastfeed... Firstly, I have a wonderful circle of support that has been there for me through the hardest weeks of my life, but even then things can be hard. I was not expecting the hormonal rollercoaster you jump on after having a baby, but that only worsened my breastfeeding difficulties. Sophie did great and I thought we were doing everything right, but my body soon looked like I had been in a bar fight. Everyone sympathized and helped me push through it. I tried every home remedy under the sun- even putting black tea bags on my chest. I was treated for a fungal infection, but a week later I was back in the doctor's office feeling totally awful. I had a fever, chills, and felt like death. I cried every time Sophie was hungry because it hurt so badly. The doctor took one look at me and asked that I be admitted to the hospital. I had severe mastitis. I freaked out pretty bad because 1. I had never had to go to the hospital for anything besides having a baby and 2. I knew that baby was home and way past feeding time. Ironically, my mom was at the hospital prepping for neck surgery. By the time I was admitted, situated, and had Sophie reunited with me my mom came down from her room to tell me her surgery wasn't going to happen today, which turned out to be a great blessing because she stayed the two nights in the hospital with me to help with Sophie. I was hooked up to and IV to have pain meds and antibiotics pumped through me. The greatest blessing of the whole ordeal was the help of a lactation consultant who guided us on how to breastfeed properly, even in my damaged state I was able to do it with minimal pain. Looking back I wish I had had that information from the start and I would have saved myself a lot of pain and even more tears.

This little gal sure is worth all the hassle. We still have lots to learn as parents, but each day makes a little more sense. What we've learned so far:

1. I really do need sleep--or I go crazy. I can handle crying fits a lot easier if I am well rested.
2. Sophie likes to look at your face, so you must hold her face up and out in front of you or she will just try to nurse on your arm.
3. Dressing a newborn can be tricky. It's easier with two people.
4. Running water (or any white noise) makes baby calm down.
5. Ask for help, always.
6. Lay baby down whenever you can, or else she gets too used to being in your arms.

3 comments:

  1. Love, love, love the shoes. I'm sorry you had a difficult time at the beginning but I'm glad to hear that everything worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think every mother out there sympathizes Ashley. Nursing really stinks at the beginning. I was going to say sucks but then that sounded stupid. :) She is beautiful though. Everything gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sophie is beautiful! Everyone always depicts breastfeeding as this totally natural thing, but it definitely wasn't for me! It takes lots of work and learning, that's for sure! I'm so glad things are better... mastitis is the worst and I totally admire you for working through it!

    ReplyDelete