Monday, August 29, 2011

Our Evaluation: Northwest Arkansas





When we told people we were spending our summer vacation fund on a trip to the exotic land of Arkansas, most people drew up the mental picture of someone like this guy:



Or some other character from the people of Wal-mart website. However, we found Northwest Arkansas to be quite the contrary. Our intent was to visit Daniel's sister, Erin, and her family while also checking out possible internships/future jobs for Daniel the potential accountant. For me, I came to the shocking realization that I actually wanted to live somewhere other than Idaho. Of course other places always sound nice in comparison to Idaho, especially during the winter, but no where has ever captured my attention enough for me to honestly want to pack up and move.


Here is our collection of thoughts on why we found Arkansas (of all places) so agreeable:



1. Perfect blend of southern charm and the normality of the Midwest. People are so dang nice there!



2. Job Opportunities: go ahead--name a company--chances are they have an office there.


3. Woo Pig Sooey! Lovin' the undying love for the U of Arkansas Razorbacks. It would be great to attend a university with real sports.


4. Food: we are self-proclaimed foodies and the Bentonville area (and well, 80% of the country) offer every type of food not found in Rexburg-particularly BBQ- that are just divine!


5. Close to some of the cutest nieces you've ever seen. And their equally cool parents.


6. Weather! I love me some heat! Idaho's deep, dark, endless winters really hold no special place in my heart. Long summers and beautiful autumns and springs sound much more enticing.


7. Outdoor fun: Idaho does have endless supply of outdoor extracurriculars, but NWA provides a heavier dosage of things Daniel and I actually enjoy: hiking, biking, and many more tennis facilities than Idaho.


8. Job Opportunities: {for me} Crystal Bridges Museum, I have my eye on you. Check it out here.


9. This kind of goes with weather, but humidity. Sigh, I am a constant companion to my lotion, and the humidity allows my skin some much needed moisture.


10. Finally, diversity. Let's just say we want out of the "jello belt" or "mormon bubble" just for sanity's sake.


There ya go, if you aren't convinced by now I don't know what to tell you. Of course Arkansas is lacking a few things: namely my parents, but give me some time, I could convince them to move out there too. :)


Now please enjoy our trip via pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment