Thursday, June 26, 2014

Our House

 We really did it. We bought a house. It was a quick and crazy house shopping experience. We started looking a couple months ago when we discovered that Kuna is significantly cheaper than Boise/Meridian and qualifies for Rural Development, which means no down payment (a huge bonus for first timers like ourselves). We came across this house and after we saw it we debated each other for two days about purchasing it.

Closing weekend came and it was easily the busiest weekend of our lives. Thursday we signed and did the walk-through. It was terrible. The house looked like something from hoarders. All their stuff was everywhere, stuffed in garbage bags, and garbage all over the floor. We left extremely disappointed. Friday morning we waited impatiently for everything to go through, and waited for the sellers to get out (they were two hours late getting out of the house). We got into the house around five and were surprised it was mostly clean. At five-thirty we let the carpet cleaners in while we ate dinner outside. Then we started painting...

The house was previously painted in every single room. Crazy dark colors and not very well around the doors, baseboards, and edges. It was a huge task to finish painting by two (when the cleaning ladies came, compliments of our real estate agent) Saturday. Daniel and his dad stayed at the house until after eleven Friday night, and we were all back there before nine Saturday morning. Daniel and his Dad left around 11 a.m. to go get the truck and meet some people at our apartment to load it up. My mom took Sophie to her house to play and nap (much easier to paint without worrying a toddler is going to face plant in a tray of paint). My dad and I stayed and painted. Thankfully we had the help of my mom's friend's husband, a pro painter, on Saturday. He knocked out the master bedroom and a hallway in less than half the time it would have taken any of us. The only rooms we didn't repaint are the spare room (which we will), the bathrooms (which I actually like), and the laundry room (which is fine as is). It was pure madness. Then the cleaning ladies came like angels from heaven and cleaned the house while my dad and I picked up the painting mess and touched up some places. We still need to repaint the door frames, baseboards, and against the ceiling, but for the most part it's done and for the most part I LOVE it. I'm so happy we whipped all this out before they showed up with the truck at four. I swear half the ward came and unloaded the truck in under twenty minutes. It was amazing.

We still need to fix the edges and straighten the lines




 We really wiped everyone out. I'm still recovering. Sophie liked playing with Grandpa when she could (she was out with Grandma for most of the weekend) and she loves putting hats on people.

 Sophie is in love with this house. She loves wandering in and out, in and out, in and out, in and out.... She runs around the house screaming with her arms stretched out. She really loves the space. We even bought her a splash pool which is pretty amazing in her book.




 All this playing outside means more baths. And check out how long that hair is! It's really getting into her eyes now so ponytails are a necessity. Daniel tried to put up his hammock under our covered porch, but we haven't been able to make it secure enough to hold an adult. Sophie likes to swing and says, "Weeeeeeee. Go go!" She even loves "helping" with the yard work.










It makes my heart happy to see our little family in this home. I'm excited for what the future holds here. Now on to the joys and perils of home ownership.

6 comments:

  1. That's so exciting that you guys bought a house! It looks beautiful and I love the color and how you decorated the living room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!! We are hoping to make his big step next year! It looks like a lot of work, but it's definitely worth it I'm sure! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is worth it. It is also about as stressed as I've ever been. I'm glad that part is over and we are settling in.

      Delete
  3. Congrats!!! Your home is so cute!! And the backyard is to die for. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Sophie sure thinks it is. It's up to us to make it really awesome. ;)

      Delete