Sunday, October 18, 2015

Silly Sophie

 Seriously though, 2.5 year olds are the silliest people on the planet. Sophie is no exception. She makes random noises, thinks it's funny to lick your face, enjoys screaming matches, jumps on everything, prefers to not wear clothes, and comes up with hilarious imaginative play scenarios. Since she's been playing with older cousins, she's been better at playing independently with figurine type toys. I laugh multiple times a day as I hear about one toy or another is getting put in time out or who's daddy is coming home or some random episode of Curious George comes to life. Not everything has to exclusively be a toy. When she helps with dishes now the spoons and forks get there own little dramatization. Usually there is a mommy fork, daddy fork, and Sophie spoon. It's pretty adorable, but really hinders her focus on accomplishing the task at hand.

Sophie no longer naps and constantly seems like a ball of energy. She runs everywhere. She surprisingly likes chatting up random people like the pizza delivery guy, kids at the park, kids at restaurants, cashiers, etc. It's pretty dang cute, but some kids just wonder who this chatty little girl is and wonder why she doesn't make any sense.

 She now does "crazy eyes" or "big eyes" when she makes a super serious face and then bulges her eyes out. She does this and the bursts out laughing along with everyone else. She'll do it over and over and over again and particularly likes doing it with my mom over FaceTime. Her cousins get a pretty good kick out of it too.

We started dance class in September. It's little class which is nice--just four other little girls who all seem very sweet. At first I didn't know how I felt about the class, but it's getting better. Sophie is at least kind of listening now and surprisingly remembering some of the choreography, but most days I still end up having to threaten time out if she doesn't listen and spend most of the time correcting her behavior. I'm just hoping she gets better at listening to her teacher and participating as a group. Most of the other girls have their off days too which makes me feel better about the whole thing. We also started going to a tumbling class, but it's a huge class and Sophie mostly runs around like a crazy person. I like that teacher more, but the class is just too big. While it's a fun opportunity for Sophie to get the wiggles out, I don't think that one is worth the effort.












 Sophie likes having "farkles" (sparkles) painted on her fingernails and is very concerned when they start chipping off. We spent some of conference weekend painting fingers and toes. She also has started letting me dry her hair which serves two purposes: it warms her up after a bath and keeps her hair from being a wavy, crazy mess.



 Just so Sophie knows: she's an emotional little gal and that's okay. This past week has been a little exhausting because she has just been full of contradictions. If I say it's time for park play date, she all of a sudden wants to stay home. If I say pajama time (which she previously loved), she freaks out and ends up sleeping naked or in her clothes. I can tell she's still learning to adapt to certain situations and learning when she does have a choice to do/eat/pick something and when she does not, but man it's tiring.

 In addition to playing with toys and making up stories, Sophie likes to stand behind something and say, "What do you want?" and you are expected to order food or something. She loves for me to sing (which she never has before) 5 Little Ducks at bedtime. She's obsessed with watching Curious George. She's surprisingly polite and almost always say "excuse me!" when we are in public. Sometimes she's too quiet for people to hear which is too bad. She's always concerned if you are okay and just tells me "Mommy, be happy!" She likes to hide coins or small toys in her hands and have you pick which hand it's in. She thinks it's magic and hilarious too.





No comments:

Post a Comment